While you may gravitate toward an interior door for your wine cellar, the space demands a more robust custom door. You could buy an off-the-shelf door, but your wine cellar deserves an entry as unique as the wines you collect. And just as your front door makes a powerful first impression for your home, the wine cellar door makes a statement about the experience visitors can expect.
Essential Characteristics of a Wine Cellar Door
The door to your wine cellar needs many of the same features as an exterior door. It must be:
- Insulated to prevent air from entering or exiting the wine cellar.
- Solid wood wine cellar doors have inherent insulating properties. Hardwoods such as mahogany, walnut, or oak resist humidity that can cause decay.
- Other materials, such as glass or galvanized metal, are also available to insulate your wine cellar door.
- Energy-efficient, to help you maintain the ideal temperature for preserving the wine quality and taste.
- Wine cellar doors have an R-value that measures thermal resistance, and higher R-values provide more climate control. Thermal glass with a vacuum or filled with argon-gas offers more energy efficiency than standard glass. A solid wood wine cellar door with a thickness of 2 ¼-inch can also provide a high R-value.
- Secure from the elements and unwanted visitors. Installation of custom doors, including wine cellar doors, is essential to maximizing the insulating properties and security of the entryway.
- The door to your wine cellar must sit snugly into a solid frame that can support the heavier weight of the material. A custom door manufacturer will craft a door and frame measured precisely to fit your wine cellar and provide the most insulating, secure installation.
- Stylish to reflect the architectural design of the wine cellar and your preferences. Can you install a highly functional wine cellar door without a specific style? Absolutely, but you’ve likely invested substantial resources into your collection and creating the wine cellar. A door that looks like a restaurant refrigerator falls short of conveying the delicious flavours and warm memories to share with your wine tastings.
- Partnering with a custom door manufacturer gives you access to beautiful wood doors, etched glass, or iron embellishments.
- An expert in wine cellar door installation ensures the door framing, hardware, and lock complement the door’s style and deliver the functionality you need to maintain the integrity of your wines.
Are you building a space for your wine collection and need a new wood wine cellar door? Ready to upgrade your current wine cellar door? Contact the Master Doors Canada team today at (905) 597-9011.