The door to your wine cellar is more than a functional stopgap between your wines and the elements. Your wine cellar door is also a gateway to experiencing your wines. Designing a wine cellar door involves features like insulation and security, but the appearance can create a stunning addition to your home.
The team at Master Doors Canada compiled several design tips about wine cellar doors to help you identify elements to include with your custom door.
1. Wine Cellar Door Shape. The shape (or shapes) included with your door convey different meanings.
- An arch implies movement into something new. Arched doors also suggest elegance and old-world charm.
- A square or rectangular shape represents logic, stability, structure, and order. Rectangular doors are versatile, accommodating modern, contemporary, or traditional designs.
- Incorporating an oval window into your wine cellar door connotes rebirth. In addition to providing visibility to the space, the oval brings artistry to your custom door.
2. Single vs. Double-Entry. A single door to your wine cellar can provide beautiful functionality.
- Depending on the entryway dimensions, you can explore double doors, which relieve the weightiness of a single large door and add drama to the entry.
- Expert installation of double doors is essential to getting a secure seal and preventing airflow into the cellar.
- You can also choose a double door with an inner thermal glass door and a solid wood door as the first entry point. The glass door helps with climate control, while the wood wine cellar door adds insulation, security, and artistry.
3. Balance is a foundational principle of design. Too much or too little of any feature can affect your wine cellar door’s visual appeal and performance. If you incorporate too much glass, you risk energy loss (and higher cooling bills). Not enough thickness to the door means you’ll face airflow and humidity challenges. Choose an established wine cellar door manufacturer to discuss your design ideas and find the right balance for your door.
4. Materials play a vital role in meeting expectations about your wine cellar door’s appearance and functionality. A combination of materials expands design possibilities. For example, a solid wood door with thermal glass sidelights provides security and visibility. A wood wine cellar door with iron embellishments presents visual cues about strength and safety.
5. Finishing Touches such as hinges, locking systems, doorknobs or handles, and sweeping plates can enhance the beauty of your wine cellar door. Talk with door artisans to learn more about the colours and finishes available to pair with your wood door.
Are you drafting the design for your wine cellar and need ideas for your wine cellar door? Or are you upgrading your current wine cellar door? Contact the Master Doors Canada design team today at (905) 597-9011.